Eligibility and Guidelines
The applicant must:
- be a citizen of the United States of America.
- hold membership in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- be at least 21 years old.
- have experienced an interruption in education of two or more years since completion of high school or college.
Additional Scholarship Committee Considerations
- Involvement in Women of the ELCA
- Women of the ELCA must be notified in writing of any change in education plans.
- Scholarship funds must be used within the academic year of the award.
- Scholarship funds must be returned if the educational program is canceled, or if it is terminated by the recipient’s personal decision.
- Scholarships funds will be forfeited if the scholarship recipient does not adhere to the timeline set for providing information and documentation needed for awarding funds.
- If requested, recipient will be interviewed for Women of the ELCA print and/or electronic media.
Application Process Time Line
Women of the ELCA begins accepting scholarship applications online. Link to materials becomes available on this day.
All applications must be submitted online on or before this date.
Scholarship recipients are notified.
- Recipient is eligible to reapply and receive assistance for a maximum of two years.
- Women of the ELCA reserves the right to not award scholarships in any given year.
The following forms must be mailed directly to Women of the ELCA from the individuals providing the references:
- Pastors’ Reference Form (If the pastor is a relative, request a reference from the chairperson or vice-chairperson of the congregation.)
- Academic Reference Form (A letter of recommendation from a faculty member who has taught the applicant within the last three years; disregard if out of school more than three years.)
- Personal Reference Form (A letter from someone who has knowledge of the applicant’s potential.)