Eligibility and Guidelines
The applicant must:
- be a citizen of the United States of America.
- hold membership in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- be at least 21 years old.
- have experienced an interruption in education of two or more years since completion of high school or college.
Additional Scholarship Committee Considerations
- Involvement in Women of the ELCA
- Women of the ELCA must be notified in writing of any change in education plans.
- Scholarship funds must be used within the academic year of the award.
- Scholarship funds must be returned if the educational program is canceled, or if it is terminated by the recipient’s personal decision.
- Scholarships funds will be forfeited if the scholarship recipient does not adhere to the timeline set for providing information and documentation needed for awarding funds.
- If requested, recipient will be interviewed for Women of the ELCA print and/or electronic media.
Application Process Time Line
- The final date for all application materials to be postmarked and mailed to Women of the ELCA. There are no exceptions.
- The scholarship applications are processed.
- The scholarship committee meets and makes its awards.
- All recipients will receive written notification of the decisions of the scholarship committee.
- The first scholarship check will be processed—payable to the recipient’s institution.
- Recipient is eligible to reapply and receive assistance for a maximum of two years.
- Women of the ELCA reserves the right to not award scholarships in any given year.
The following forms must be mailed directly to Women of the ELCA from the individuals providing the references:
- Pastors’ Reference Form (If the pastor is a relative, request a reference from the chairperson or vice-chairperson of the congregation.)
- Academic Reference Form (A letter of recommendation from a faculty member who has taught the applicant within the last three years; disregard if out of school more than three years.)
- Personal Reference Form (A letter from someone who has knowledge of the applicant’s potential.)
Mail all application material to:
Women of the ELCA Scholarship Program
ATTN: Valora Starr
8765 W. Higgins Rd.
Chicago, IL 60631-4101
It is the responsibility of the applicant to insure that Women of the ELCA has received all completed application materials. You will not be notified if documents are incomplete. If you have questions or need clarification, please call 1-800-638-3522, extension 2741, or email: [email protected]