Dear Friend in Christ
Want to sustain the community that is a hallmark of Women of the ELCA? Then join Dear Friend in Christ, a unique letter-exchange project to which all participants are invited.
How does it work?
1. Write a letter. Use the “Dear Friend in Christ” salutation. Fill a page or two, however you are inspired. Among other things, please share your thoughts on these questions: How is your faith in Jesus Christ sustaining you during the global pandemic? What words of encouragement can you offer the person who receives your letter?
2. You can handwrite or type the letter.
3. You could include a drawing, a photo, or a recipe, anything that fits into an envelope.
4. Offer up a prayer for the recipient.
5. You may include your mailing address in the letter if you do not wish to remain anonymous.
7. Mail your letter and signed release form to Dear Friend in Christ, Women of the ELCA, 8765 W Higgins Road, Chicago IL 60631. Deadline for mailing letters to the churchwide organization is October 15, 2020.
What else do I need to know?
- When you write to Dear Friend in Christ, your letter will be swapped with a letter from another writer. They will get your letter; you will get their letter. The exchange is anonymous (unless you provide your contact information), so you can share as little or as much information about yourself as you like.
- Dear Friend in Christ is open to all participants, although writers under 18 must have parental consent. Download the release form.
- Letters are paired at random, and we will try to match participants with someone in a different geographical part of the ELCA. Women of the ELCA staff read all letters before the exchange happens.
- Letters will be mailed to participants on a rolling basis, beginning in June 2020. We will continue exchanging letters received through All Saints Day, November 1, 2020.