As you work in your gardens this summer, don’t forget to consider your soul as well as your soil needs.
As Christian women, we can tend to our souls by:
- communicating regularly with God, the Creator, in prayer,
- living in community with other Christians,
- regularly worshipping God,
- immersing ourselves in God’s Word,
- spending time in God’s good creation, and
- recharging our soul through quiet contemplation and meditation.
These are the basics, the foundations of our faith. They are essential to our life of faith, and yet sometimes we just get so caught up in other things that we don’t attend to these. Given our circumstances, we might have other soul needs. We may need the support of our community when going through a difficult medical situation. We might need members of the community to remind us to keep the Sabbath. Others in the community may need to offer prayers for us when we cannot do that ourselves.
Your soul needs tending as much as the flowers and vegetables you’re planting.
This message is an excerpt from a Women of the ELCA blog by Linda Post Bushkofsky.
Daily Grace has been offering you things to ponder and things to pray about for more than 10 years. For free. Women of the ELCA provides many other free online resources, too—see welca.org/resources. Please support Women of the ELCA at welca.org/give.