Just over 300 voting members gathered in Minneapolis for the Women of the ELCA Tenth Triennial Convention, July 11–13, 2017, to do the business of the churchwide women’s organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Executive board, officers elected for the 2017–2020 triennium
President: Lisa Plorin, Upham North Dakota
Vice President: Becky Shurson, Eugene, Oregon
Secretary: Freddie Jordan, Columbus, Ohio
Treasurer: Anna Sarver, Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Angela Bell, Bellville, Texas
Tina Bigelow, Poulsbo, Washington
Elizabeth Burgess, Augusta, Maine
Lois Bylund, Moorhead, Minnesota
Anissa Canova, Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania
Lydia Davila, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Rev. Dina Dutta, Lawrence, Kansas
Sandra Grier, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Sara Larson, Balaton, Minnesota
Laura Krueger, Avondale, Arizona
Joy Michalicek, Duluth, Minnesota
Kandy Pflaster, Cozad, Nebraska
Keala Simoes, Honolulu, Hawaii
Viviane Thomas-Breitfeld, Brookfield, Wisconsin
Lynette Todd, Baltimore, Maryland
Barbara Tormondsen, Greenwich, Connecticut
Karen Voris, Eagle River, Alaska
Action, memorials and Resolutions
In business sessions, the voting members at Tenth Triennial Convention of Women of the ELCA
- Acted to affirm the ELCA’s repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery and encourage education and relationship building.
- Referred to the 2017–2020 Executive Board consideration of budgetary support for Today’s Dream: Tomorrow’s Reality (TDTR) anti-racism programming.
- Resolved to raise awareness of the tainted water in Flint, Michigan, and/or offer tangible support to the people in Flint.
- Rejected the memorial to lower the number of Synodical Women’s Organization (SWO) elected board members to three.
- Resolved to support the United Nations Convention on the Rights of a Child and clearly condemn all forms of corporal punishment of children.
- Resolved to educate and act to reduce domestic abuse and violence and help survivors recover.
- Resolved to encourage all participants to hold in prayer the Bible Women of India.
- Resolved to establish July 11–February 4, 2018, as a time of prayer in ELCA congregations to end human trafficking, and to work in cooperation with other agencies, task forces and groups to end human trafficking and support its victims.
- Resolved to “go green” at the Eleventh Triennial Convention and Gathering in 2020, encouraging voting members and participants to reduce waste by using their personal electronic devices instead of paper and by bringing reusable cups and refillable water bottles.
- Resolved to support the leadership needs in the ELCA by encouraging women to seek ordination as “ministers of word and sacrament” and “ministers of word and service,” and to promote support for the ELCA Fund for Leaders.
- Requested the executive board constitutional committee consider a constitutional change to allow up to two SWO board members to be from the same congregation.
Of the $48,092.47 collected for the Tenth Triennial Convention offering, half will support the “PV for Phebe” project providing solar energy to Phebe Hospital in rural Liberia, and half will be used for Women of the ELCA ongoing ministries. Of the total, $10,539.47 was collected at opening worship and $37,553 was sent by congregational units and individuals.
Voting members unanimously approved the 2018 budget of $3,123,231.
Voting members and participants of Women of the ELCA, the women’s organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, are in Minneapolis, Minnesota, for Tenth Triennial Convention (July 11-13) and Gathering (July 14–16).
Photo of the 2017-2020 executive board: Lisa Plorin, Becky Shurson, Freddie Jordan, Anna Sarver